About Rose City

Rose City began as the town of Churchill in 1875, when Allen S. Rose moved to Michigan from New York State and built a general store. When the railroad came through in 1892, it was renamed Rose City for the founder, though it wasn’t incorporated as a city until 1905. It is supported by some small businesses and manufacturing facilities (particularly plastics, machinery and auto parts production), but has survived over the years primarily as a result of tourism and the attraction of the many lakes and streams in the scenic surrounding area. The Rifle River State Recreation Area is less than three miles from the city limits.

Share

Recent Posts